Monday, November 5, 2012

Anthony Davis Interview

Anthony Davis is a real guitar man. I have had the pleasure
of playing in quite a few bands with him and he has always
approached each project with enthusiasm and vigor.
About a year ago, we started Circles and Squares,
which has turned out to be one of our most musically
fruitful projects. Anthony is also an in-demand studio
session player we often refer to as "One-Take Tony".
Let's hear from the man................................

INTERVIEW BY GRENO

When did you start playing guitar?
AD : I started playing guitar in the 7th grade. I didn't really get serious until I was about 16. I went to a Halloween party and there was a band playing and I was impressed by all the sounds from the instruments, especially the guitar.

What was the first song you ever wrote?
AD : The first song I ever wrote was S.L.J. (D). I wrote the music when I was about 17 and didn't put lyrics to it until I was about 24.

First record you ever bought?
AD : The first record I ever bought was Kiss Alive II and I was probably 9.
Before that, I bought the single "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.

Influences that are not guitar players?
AD : The people who have influenced me that are not guitar players is a long list
that continues to this day. Here are a few; John Elway, Bruce Lee, Dave Chappelle,
Joseph Campbell and Mr. VanWest(my 4th grade teacher).

Favorite show you have played?
AD : The best show I played was a little bar on 19th and Unitah in Colorado Springs.
My band played for 3 hours, all original music mind you and the people danced all night.
It was a very gratifying night.

Where did the song "Beautiful Love" come from?
AD : The song "Beautiful Love" was inspired by my own observations of couples in love
or individuals looking for love.

If you could have any car, what would you drive?
AD : If I could have any car it would be a Porsche, preferably a custom built one.
I read that Eric Clapton has Ferrari build him his own sports car.

What is your guitar set-up right now?
AD : My guitar set-up is pretty basic. I have a Fender Deluxe II, as well as a Marshall JVM 210
half stack. I am a Fender guy so I have two Stratocasters and a Tele. I also own a Taylor acoustic guitar. As far as effects, I don't have too many. I have a rat distortion pedal, an MXR delay and a Cry Baby Wah pedal.

Favorite type of guitar and amp?
AD : Fender all the way.

You have proven to be a versatile player in both song and improv configurations,
do you have a preference playing one over the other? 
How has listening to jazz changed your approach to the guitar?
AD : I really like both structured and improv playing. I have a lot of songs that are arranged in such a way that I don't hear them in any other way. Playing improv is very refreshing and challenging. Listening to jazz has totally changed my perception on being a guitarist and even a musician in general. Jazz taught me a better understanding of playing with others. It gave me a better ear.

As a Colorado Springs native, talk about some of the changes you have seen in music venues around town.
AD : Although the Colorado Springs music scene has improved since the 1980's, it has a long way to go. I started to persue this music thing in 1994. I released my own recordings and put them out for purchase. At that time, there were no places that original music could be played. There are more places for original bands to play, but the scene is still trying to find its identity.

What are you doing now musically?
AD : Circles and Squares. Moonlighting in Lemon-Limes, Squeaky and the Futures, Skinny Mulligans.

Favorite t.v show growing up?
AD : Happy Days    ehhhhhhhhh!

Most interesting places you have travelled?
AD : Being half German, I have spent many vacations in Germany, which is one of my favorite places. Stateside, love road trips. More recently, I had the chance to visit England, beautiful place and beautiful people.

What does the future hold for your music?
AD : Ehhhhhhhhhh! (in his best Fonzie impression)

No comments:

Post a Comment