Saturday, October 17, 2020

Ginger Lou Interview

Ginger Lou is an extraordinary person and artist. She has been creating art and inspiring others to do the same for many years now. Ginger has found a home working in mixed media collage art but this versatile artist can utilize her skills in many unique ways. Her work is currently on display/for sale at art galleries around the nation. I am proud to call her my friend and co-host on The Art Channel. The one and only.......Ginger Lou!
 
Wed, Sep 2, 12:31 AM
1. Have you been creating art for most of your life?

Yes, I remember watching Bob Ross as a kid... elementary school...and painting a landscape. And before 2nd grade making pottery. I must have really enjoyed the experiences because they really stand out in my memories.


2. Did you take collage art classes?

I have never taken a collage art class...except for art history. I have a Master teacher credential for early childhood with my specialization in children with special needs.



3. Talk about your joy for teaching coupled with your journey as an artist.

I love teaching because I love giving and it feels like I'm giving a lot when I teach. Art and being creative just comes easily for me. I could be struggling in every aspect of my life decision making etc but very effortlessly make art. I also really enjoy children because of the honesty and innocence of their communication, so fun to be around. They appreciate the little things and I like that. Adults are fun to teach too...they usually think they can't make art, but they can they just forgot.


4. What artists/art movements have influenced your work?

Gosh, that's a tough question...I am such an eclectic person and enjoy a huge range of artists but had never seen a collage by a collage artist that I can remember before making my first collage. After I made my Tarot card series a friend showed me the voyager tarot series which is a collage series and that's my first experience seeing another collage artists work.



5. What role does the artist have in society?

Well, right now it seems like a mental health therapist...artists make art because it's inside of them and they have to get it out or feel stressed, sad or go crazy lol now everyone is feeling stressed and realizing how much it helps to focus on art. But artists make movies, clothing, buildings, music there's an art to everything so there are many roles.



6. Your work contains lots of female imagery and symbolism. Discuss how feminism informs your work. 

For whatever reason I enjoy the quiet softness or soft boldness of feminity and each piece is a part of me and I'm a woman so it would feel strange to have lots of pieces with men as the main subject but I have started making pieces with specific people in mind...like making a piece I know a specific person will like other than me and then I could see adding a male in the leading role so to speak.



7. Why do you do what you do?

I'm just downloading information from the universe into a solid form... because it's how my mind works and it's what I see and feel.

8. In collage, it is all about the choices you make. What does this type of process reveal about self?

Everything is about the choices you make...not always directly but through beliefs about what you are capable of. Maybe I am able to put any doubt aside and trust my intuition when creating...it's a knowing.



9. Dadaism and Surrealism flow through your work. What excites you about these movements still having influence in today's art world?

I think collage and mixed media have definitely made a comeback in the last few years which has made it more aesthetically appealing to me for sure. It's fun to view and to collaborate with others who use similar materials.



10. How long have you been teaching art? What do you enjoy most about it?

Maybe 6-7 years? I have a terrible sense of time. The diversity of how each person sees the word and replicates it or creates it according to who they are in that moment. And I like people so it's nice to interact and feel helpful and collaborative in a process.

11. Tell us about your upcoming art show in Las Vegas at Saturation(November)!

The gallery is the brainchild of Gem Jaxx an artist whom I admire...check out her work because she rocks. She is very pop art...love it! Anyway, the gallery is in the artist district in Vegas at 107 E Charleston blvd suite 107. I will be showcasing some of my work and it's in Vegas so I don't have to worry about censoring myself...so that kinda opens things up for me. It can get more interesting and creative there. I also want to check out Area 15 when I'm there...it's a desert art installation which should be cool too.



12. Creativity seems to run in your family. Tell us about your son's band Cheapskates.

Well, it's a buncha kids that were right in high school who are talented past their years on this planet. I honestly can't believe how talented they are...I think part of their success is their youth because they haven't yet completely experienced how limiting the world can be and haven't developed the self doubt that can be associated with that their music rides on their pure talent and interpersonal relationships that are individual to the age and experience they collectively have or don't have...working in their favor. My son sings, raps, writes songs and his girlfriend sing on it a bit...all of them are equal in their ability to be amazing. My son is also a talented artist. My older son is talent in tech stuff which the creative stuff needs in order to survive and be on display and heard...symbiotic talents in this fam...


13. I really enjoy the positive nature of your work. Is this deliberate or just an extension of who you are as a person?

It's hitting the reset button on my brain it's helping to do the same for others...I want to put the truth out there that we can create positivity from within into our outside environments. It's being how I want things to be in order to co create my existence. I don't want to live in a negative environment and that starts by creating from within...no bad vibes...


14. What does the future of art look like?

Good question I respect the future to let it play itself out...I feel the best thing to do would be to get a picture in my head of what a best case scenario would be and kinda push that off into the universe and kinda forget about it but hold onto the good feeling of it and see what pops up. Best case scenario is valuing myself and my talents and drawing that value to me from outside of me...believing in the good stuff and being a magnet for it. People liking my work and who I am and buying and enjoying it... success.

On a broad spectrum...worldview to unpredictable right now.

15. Best Mexican food in San Diego? (That's a tough one)

All of it! Lol I'm not picky and I'm not a regular anywhere...I had a really good surf n turf taco at Sanchez in San Clemente Sunday but that's not San Diego.



16. What are you listening to these days?

I listen to a variety of music old stuff life Floyd, Dylan, Velvet Underground, Aimee Man etc and indy newer music like Dope Lemon, kevin Morby, St. Vincent, Khruangbin, Los Retro, Chicano Batman, Andy Shauf, Diviano Nino, Crumb and my sons band Cheapskates of course.



17. What artist do you admire and why? Doesn't have to be fine art necessarily.

Matt Forderer because so patient and meticulous and we collaborate well together. Toulouse Lautrec has always been an artist I enjoy too...

18. What's your favorite John Hughes movie and why?

Hmmm Planes, Trains and Automobiles is super funny...love it.



19. What would you tell someone starting out in art as a profession?

Do something you like but make sure you do it in a way that pays well.


20. Which guy would you have dated from the movie the Outsiders?

I gotta watch it again and get back to ya...been awhile since I've seen it but I remember really living it.  Matt Dylan and Rob lowe are the best looking but I can't really remember their roles. It's hard to judge who i'd date without being in their presence to feel their vibe and I can't remember based on character.

21. How can folks find your artwork, classes you teach?

My webby
Other sites
Classes

No comments:

Post a Comment