Sunday, January 3, 2021

C.J. Hackett Interview


C.J. has been a friend of mine for years now. I have always admired his songwriting ability and musical chops. He has fronted local favs A BAD NIGHT FOR A HERO for years. Also, he records solo material under the names YETI and PREFAB SOUL. A few years back, C.J. and I held down the rhythm section in a local project called THURSTON RENALDO with Marc Raab, Collin Estes and Bryan Ostrow. He does a lot for the Colorado Springs local music community by organizing events/shows, ran Local FM, fundraisers and more. Here's an inside look at a talented and humble man.

1. Tell us about your new project Prefab Soul?
A. Prefab Soul is my new electronica-based project. I'm trying to explore different genres of electronic music including vaporwave, lofi hip hop, and anything that makes people move.

2. How often are you writing music these days?
A. I try to write daily when possible, whether it's something electronic or a Yeti track. 

3. Have you put out any new music lately?
A. I recently put out an EP under Prefab Soul "Outside Dreamland" and I'm working on a new vaporwave EP.

4. The Prefab Soul project is a vast departure from your work at the Yeti? Was this conscious?
A. Very much so. I really want to improve as a producer, so I started Prefab Soul as a way to challenge myself while exploring different styles. Hopefully that will also reflect in my music as The Yeti

5. What are you listening to these days?
A. I've been listening to a lot of vaporwave and indie rock artists, but also revisiting some old faves. Some faves being: Freddie Dredd, The Futureheads, Negative Gemini, and Memorex Memories. 

6. How are you staying creative in these times of a pandemic?
A. I've been trying to spend at least an hour a day just working on music, trying to learn theory, production, and working on better songwriting. I've also been trying to put out more B.S. covers on Youtube.

7. What is your favorite instrument to play and why?
A. That's a tricky question. I wanna say guitars, but playing the bass is always fun. I love the way it feels to let your fingers glide over the strings and play some odd melodies.

8. Talk about some of the local bands you admire.
A. There's been a lot of locals I've taken influence from, but Knight In Colors quickly comes to mind along with Had I Known

9. When live music venues open back up in the Springs, what do you think it will be like?
A. Honestly, I have no clue. I know some people have already returned to venues, but it feels like there's gonna be a big adjustment period making sure people are safe and comfortable. Considering the pandemic has shut down a lot of venues, it feels like the musical landscape might be somewhat unrecognizable. Either way, I'll be excited to play again.

10. Best Mexican food in Colorado Springs?
A. I'm a sucker for Taco Star's grilled chicken tacos

11. Name 3 of your favorite comic book characters and why?
A. Spider-man - He's just always inspired me since I was a kid. The idea that if you have the power to do good, means you have a responsibility to use it has always resonated with me. Invincible - Just a great comic hero in general, he's got a dark side, but he learns from his mistakes and strives to do better. Marcus Lopez (Deadly Class) - Not a superhero, but a super relatable character to me. Not the best person by any means, but I can definitely relate to some of his struggles with depression. 

12. What is this Thurston Renaldo super group thing you were a part of?
A. Thurston Renaldo was a super awesome project. I wish we got a chance to play out more. It's always nice to play some groovy jams

13. Are there any future plans for A Bad Night For A Hero?
A. That's a little tricky to answer, but ideally we'll be releasing one more album, beyond that it's kind of up in the air, but we've got a lot of material to work with.

14. If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring 5 records with you, what would they be?
1. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
2. Los Campesinos - Romance is Boring
3. Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
4.  Beach Fossils - Clash The Truth 
5. Tyler the Creator - Scumfuck Flowerboy

15. What do you hope for 2021?
A. That we're still in one piece.

Find Yeti/Prefab Soul @ tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment